As President Joe Biden continues to promote the American Jobs Plan, there’s still controversy on the proposed infrastructure plan. many would argue that Florida’s infrastructure is in disarray. Florida Democrats differ from Republicans who control the state on how to address the infrastructure issues. Because of that, Florida Democratic Party officials want to seize the opportunity to explain how the American Jobs Plan would directly help Florida.
“The American Jobs Plan represents a historic investment in the future of Florida,” said Florida Democratic Party Chair Manny Diaz. “From bridges, roads, and public transportation, to water, broadband and housing, this plan will allow us to bring Florida’s infrastructure into the 21st century and will help us revitalize our economy across multiple sectors. With the American Jobs Plan, President Biden and the Democrats are working hard to make everyday Floridians’ lives better. ”
According to the Florida Democrats, here’s more of what the American Jobs Plan will do for Florida:
- In Florida there are 408 bridges and over 3,564 miles of highway in poor condition. Since 2011, commute times have increased by 11.6% in Florida and on average, each driver pays $425 per year in costs due to driving on roads in need of repair. The American Jobs Plan will devote more than $600 billion to transform our nations’ transportation infrastructure.
- Our public transportation is also in dire need of help. Floridians who take public transportation spend an extra 77.9% of their time commuting and non-White households are 3.5 times more likely to commute via public transportation. 16% of trains and other transit vehicles in the state are past useful life. The American Jobs Plan will modernize public transit with an $85 billion investment.
- Over the next 20 years, Florida’s drinking water infrastructure will require $21.9 billion in additional funding. The American Jobs Plan includes a $111 billion investment to ensure clean, safe drinking water is a right in all communities.
- Millions of Florida residents have minimal access to affordable internet. And 13% of Florida residents have no internet subscription. The American Jobs Plan will invest $100 billion to bring universal, reliable, high-speed, and affordable internet coverage to every family in America.
- In Florida, 38% of residents live in a childcare desert. The American Jobs Plan will modernize our nation’s schools and early learning facilities and build new ones in neighborhoods across Florida and the country.
- As of 2019, there were 166,032 Floridians working in clean energy, and the American Jobs Plan invests in creating more good paying union jobs advancing clean energy production.
- In Florida, an average low-income family spends 8-10% of their income on home energy costs forcing tough choices between paying energy bills and buying food, medicine or other essentials. The American Jobs Plan will upgrade low-income homes to make them more energy efficient.