Think about it, without CARE, there can be no CAREer. Several days ago the realization that the first four letters of career is a word all by itself rushed to the forefront of my imagination. Naturally, and for those who know me, forefront occupancy will never be enough as the next question rebounded recklessly: “Other than residing under the same roof, could there be a connection?”
For many, the concepts of career and care have nothing but a few letters in common. While it can be quite obvious for the satisfied few, a career without care simply never would do. Typically this is where I would ask: “How do you define your work and performance effort? Do you care about your career or does a distinction exist, if so, where?”
Unsure, here’s a quick list indicating four letters may be missing in your life: “if you…”
- Are unhappy
- Curse the clock for its apparent slow-motion tease
- Use vacation time the moment it becomes available
- Never arrive at work early or remain until the project is complete
- Wake up each morning with cold sweats, leg cramps, and a migraine
- Take an extra ten minutes in the kitchen area stirring your morning cup
- Daydream about winning the lottery, believing this will be your lucky week
- Can sleep only after artificial elements have been introduced into your body
- Multi-task with Facebook while texting more than work duty accomplishments
- Pretend to work the final 30 minutes of your shift… tip of the day, you’re not fooling anyone except yourself
As a career coach, I insist one cannot live contently without the other. In other words, if one does not “care,” there can be no “career.” Bet you’re asking for advice on how to put “care” back in your “career.” Am I right? Thought so.
I’m not a guru offering a sure-fire cure to career unhappiness. The resolve is as unique as you are and must come from you, actively. In other words, happiness does not enter unannounced or without conscious AND physical effort.
Good news on the side, it is NEVER too late for happiness… if you believe otherwise, well, I guess it may be too late.
Moments mirror: With such a grand portion of life defined by our career, it would be shame to regret what could have been if only… if only “Career held Care.”
By now, I hope you are scratching your head, not in confusion but resolve. NOW is the time to grab those four letters in your life and career, holding on tightly and never letting go.
Truth is, there are no certainties other than this moment, not even this evening is guaranteed. I now ask one simple request, for the next five minutes, SHOW you self you care and then SHOW someone you love… little things like this will move mountains… just gotta trust me on this one.
Turning another year older today, I am…