Before Orlando residents host family and friends this holiday season, there are a few things they need to know. Normal holiday activities such as cooking, baking, and large gatherings not only provide a welcoming environment for guests, but also for pests.
But there is no need to worry – we have gathered some great tips from Stark Exterminators, a local pest exterminator, to share with the Orlando community, see below. After such a crazy year, they say let’s keep the pests away and enjoy our special holiday festivities. Here are the tips:
- Clean up spills immediately and store holiday goodies in airtight containers.
- Before baking, inspect all food, especially dry goods for potential infestations and check expiration dates.
- When grocery shopping, inspect goods carefully and only purchase sealed
- While a roaring fire is certainly welcoming for guests, that stack of firewood is also the perfect nesting spot for many pests including spiders, cockroaches, termites and rodents and provides easy transportation into the home.
- If a pantry-infestation is suspected, discard all contaminated foods and any other open dry goods in outdoor trash bins and clean the infested area thoroughly with a vacuum and soap and water.
- Inspect and shake Christmas trees, wreaths and other live greenery thoroughly before bringing into the house.
- Store all holiday decorations in plastic, airtight containers and when retrieving from the attic or basement, inspect them outdoors before bringing inside.
- Store firewood off the ground and at least 20 feet away from the home and inspect each piece before bringing into the home.
- Seal all holes and cracks along the foundation and any openings around exterior doors and windows and place screens over vents and chimneys to prevent rodents and insects from finding their way inside.
- Vacuum and sweep often around the home.
- In the event mice are detected, a pest professional should be contacted immediately.