Campbell’s released its 2023 State of the Sides, a food-focused report on holiday food trends, top side dishes and must-try recipes to celebrate the official start of sides season.
Additionally, America’s love of sides will extend to chocolate format with expert chocolatier Phillip Ashley’s release of the Holiday Sides Collection. This limited-edition, six-piece, soup-infused savory chocolate set features flavors inspired by Campbell’s holiday recipes.
Campbell’s Second Annual ‘State of the Sides’ Report
From traditional tastes to trending flavors, the 2023 ‘State of the Sides’ report surveyed 5,000 Americans who celebrate Thanksgiving to hear what recipes will be on their holiday tables and how side dishes continue to reign supreme as America’s ‘go to’ choice to fill their plate over the traditional main course.
Findings from the survey include:
- 67% prefer side dishes to the entrée, which is up by one percent from last year’s report
- The most popular side dishes this year are mashed potatoes, stuffing/dressing, mac and cheese, yams/sweet potatoes, and green bean casserole
- Sides help make your meal unique – 66% say that sides are a way to bring cultural heritage to the Thanksgiving table
- Nearly 6 in 10 Americans will celebrate Friendsgiving in 2023
To learn more about the ‘State of the Sides’ report, visit SidesSeason.com.
Phillip Ashley Limited Edition Holiday Sides Truffle Collection
Luxury chocolatier Phillip Ashley Chocolates is helping Campbell’s celebrate America’s love of sides with a sweet limited-edition launch inspired by classic Campbell’s side dishes. The Holiday Sides Collection is a six-piece, ‘soup infused,’ savory chocolate set inspired by iconic Campbell’s holiday recipes, including:
- Green Bean Casserole – A Campbell’s icon and top side dish, per the State of the Sides, this truffle brings out the umami flavors of the dish by featuring Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom condensed soup, green beans and onion infused sea salt in a dark chocolate fudge bonbon.
- Jalapeño Cheddar Mac & Cheese – A top side dish that continues to grow in popularity around the holidays, this truffle features Campbell’s Cheddar Cheese soup, triple cream Brie, and jalapeño-infused white chocolate ganache in a blond chocolate bonbon.
- Baked Corn Casserole – One of a few holiday side dish options that Americans would eat year-round, this truffle is composed of cornbread, sweet corn and Campbell’s Cream of Chicken soup in a white chocolate bonbon.
- Hot Honey Mashed Sweet Potatoes – The perfect balance of sweet and spicy, this truffle is composed of sweet potatoes, thyme, local Memphis hot honey, Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup and milk in a chocolate bonbon.
- Everything Bagel Mashed Potatoes – A trendy twist on the nation’s favorite side dish, this truffle features a Campbell’s Cheddar Cheese soup caramel coated in a dark chocolate bonbon with everything bagel seasoning.
- Apple, Fennel & Herb Stuffing – A combination of rich flavor, this truffle contains roasted apples, fennel and Campbell’s Cream of Celery Soup bread pudding in a blond chocolate bonbon.
“Creating out-of-the-box chocolate flavors that are delicious and tell a story is a true passion of mine,” said Phillip Ashley. “There are so many stories that come from celebrating the holidays with loved ones. It has been an honor to create this new collection inspired by Campbell’s essential side dishes that every holiday dinner table should include.”
“Sides season just got even sweeter,” said Marci Raible, Vice President of Integrated Marketing, Campbell’s. “From Green Bean Casserole to Mac & Cheese, we’re excited for the drop of the new Holiday Sides Collection which highlights the many recipes that feature our iconic can and spark menu inspiration for holiday hosts this season.”
Beginning November 7th, the Holiday Sides Collection will be available to purchase for $35 each while supplies last at Phillip Ashley Chocolates
This online survey of 5,000 Americans who celebrate Thanksgiving (100 per state) was commissioned by Campbell’s and conducted by market research company OnePoll, in accordance with the Market Research Society’s code of conduct. Data was collected from July 25 to Aug. 3, 2023. The margin of error is +/- 1.4 points with 95% confidence. This survey was overseen by the OnePoll research team, which is a member of the MRS and has corporate membership with the American Association for Public Opinion Research (AAPOR).