This week, House Democrats passed H.R. 1, the For the People Act, a comprehensive package to protect and expand voting rights, restore integrity to government and put the needs and priorities of the American people ahead of special interests. The passage of the legislative package comes days after Florida Governor Ron DeSantis proposed bills to restrict voter access.
H.R. 1 expands access to the ballot box by taking aim at institutional barriers to voting, including outdated voter registration systems, disenfranchisement and limited voting hours. The legislation will create automatic voter registration in Florida and across the country, ensure that those who have completed felony sentences have their full voting rights restored, expand early voting, enhance absentee voting, simplify voting by mail, reduce long lines and wait times and modernize America’s voting system. Additionally, the legislation commits Congress to build the record necessary to restore the Voting Rights Act.
Other key provisions of H.R. 1, the For the People Act, include:
- Protecting elections from foreign interference;
- Fixing partisan gerrymandering;
- Promoting digital ad transparency;
- Forcing disclosure of dark money;
- Reining in lobbyist influence;
- Enforcing ethics and conflict of interest rules for all government officials; and
- Empowering small donors with matching funds paid for by lawbreakers, not taxpayers.
More information on the For the People Act can be found here.