Florida’s Death Toll Rises to 3 in Meningitis Outbreak
Three people have now died in Florida as a result of the fungal meningitis outbreak, the Florida Department of Health confirmed on Wednesday.
The latest victim is a 78-year-old man in Marion County. He died as a result of an injection from one of the contaminated lots from the New England Compounding Center, used for epidural back injections.
Last week, DOH said, an 83-year-old man in Marion County and a 70-year-old man had died from the contaminated drug.
Thirteen people are believed to have been injected with the contaminated drug, DOH said, with the latest case being a 28-year-old woman who received treatment from Pain Consultants of West Florida in Escambia County.
Nationwide, the number of fungal meningitis since the outbreak has risen to 233, with 15 deaths across 15 states.