DOH: Orlando Facility got Contaminated Drug Linked to Meningitis Outbreak
The Florida Department of Health has identified eight facilities that received the contaminated drug which has led to an outbreak of meningitis nationwide, and one of those facilities is located in Orlando.
The Florida facilities are:
- Florida Pain Clinic, Ocala, FL
- Interventional Rehab Center, Pensacola, FL
- Marion Pain Management Center, Ocala, FL
- North County Surgicenter, Palm Beach, FL
- Orlando Center for Outpatient Surgery, Orlando, FL
- Pain Consultants of West Florida, Pensacola, FL
- Surgery Center of Ocala, Ocala, FL
- Surgical Park Center, Miami, FL
Yesterday, the DOH confirmed that two people in Marion county have contracted fungal meningitis from a contaminated drug prepared at a compounding center in Massachusetts. However, DOH said, fungal meningitis is not contagious.
According to news reports, the tainted product was sent to 23 states nationwide and 35 people are now contaminated. So far, five people have died and there are concerns that many more people could be infected.